At the age of 3 my little cousin was diagnosed with Autism. Not only were we blessed with the sweetest boy who shines the cutest smile and gives the best neck-squeezing hugs, but with his ability to change our family’s life for the better. Years of research and NAET doctor appointments have taught us so much about health and the power of the human body.
I completed a report for a class about common daily habits and food intake by pulling "food" stored in the average American home and breaking down the ingredients. Read what I learned below!
1. Little Bites- 32 ingredients: sugar, brown sugar, water, bleached wheat flour,palm oil, soybean oil,eggs, butter (milk),dextrose, whey, modified cornstarch, fructose, glycerin, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, artificial flavor, mono and diglicerides, caramel color, sodium phosphate, cornstarch, potassium(preservative), sodium stearoyl lactylate, soy lecithin, sorbitol monostearate, xanthan gum, polysorbste 60, cellulose gum, calcium sulfate, calcium phosphate, soy flour, corn syrup.
2. Fruit Flavored Snacks- fruit juice blend from concentrate, corn syrup, sugar, modified corn syrup, fruit pectin, citric acid, dextrose, sodium citrate, malik acid, color, sunflower oil, potassium citrate, vitamin c, natural and artificial flavor, carnauba wax.
3. Boxed Mac & Cheese- wheat flour, glycerol monostearate, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, cheese sauce (milk, whey, water, whey protein concentrate, canola oil, milk protein concentrate, sodium phosphate, salt, lactic acid, sodium alginate, sorbic acid as a preservative, oleoresins paprika, annatto, natural flavor, cheese culture, enzymes, modified food starch, maltodextrin, acetylated mono glycerides, salt medium chain triglycerides, apocarotenal.
Specific boxed mac & cheese in America is known for their artificial coloring and GMO ingredients. Two main ingredients, yellow #5 and #6, are both carcinogens linking to cancer. These dyes are proven to negatively affect a child's ability to learn, increase behavioral issues, and cause many allergies such as eczema, asthma, skin rashes, migraines, hives and more.
Take a minute to watch this video about illegal GMO wheat
4. PB&J- peanuts, grape juice, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, dextrose, vegetable monoglycerides, pectin, salt, citric acid, potassium sorbate, sodium citrate.
Rather than purchasing PB&J rich in dyes, go to your local market and grind your own nut butter. It's fresh, nutritious and delicious!
5. Chocolate Syrup- sugar, water, cocoa pressed with alkali, salt, citric acid, artificial flavor, potassium sorbate, xanthan gum, caramel color.
6. "Healthy" Cereal- sugar, corn flour blend, wheat flour, whole grain oat flour, oat fiber, modified corn starch, corn syrup, dextrose, natural and artificial flavor, hydrogenated vegetable oil, soluble corn fiber, salt, gelatin, sodium hexametaphosphate, coloring, turmeric color, annatto color, BHT.
Have you ever wondered how healthy your cereal really is? The ingredients are comprised of cheap alternatives like BHT, artificial coloring, and GMO's. BHT is a preservative that has been linked to cancer and interferes with hormones. Artificial coloring is linked to many health and behavioral problems in children such as allergies, ADHD, and hyperactivity. GMO's are found in many boxed foods, but are easy to avoid!
Read more about your the toxins in your cereal here.
7. Snack Cakes- enriched bleached wheat flour, "b" vitamins, water, corn syrup, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated vegetable and/or animal shortening (soybean, cottonseed, canola oil, beef fat), mono and diglicerides, polysorbate, soy licithin, dextrose, corn starch, whole eggs, cocoa, modified corn starch, glucose, leavenings, whey, glycerin, soybean, oil, salt, sorbic acid, cellulose gum, sodium stearoyl lactylate, potassium sorbate, xanthan gum, natural and artificial flavor, calcium sulfate, enzymes, coloring.
8. Pre-Packaged Cheese Pasta- water, pasta, pasteurized process Swiss and American cheese (milk, cream, sodium phosphate, salt, sorbic acid, enzymes), white chicken strips with grill marks added, (chicken breast with rib meat, water, modified corn starch, salt, seasoning [maltodextrin, garlic flavor, gum arabic, garlic extract, caramel color] sodium phosphate), powdered cellulose, sorbic acid, potato starch, yeast extract, potassium chloride, soy protein concentrate, flavoring, rice flour.
Side effects of the above ingredients:
- High Fructose Corn Syrup- Causes weight gain, heart disease, cancer, dementia, liver failure, and is linked to mercury.
- Soybean Oil- Cheap oil that causes inflammation
- Cottonseed Oil- Full of pesticides and trans fat
- Artificial Coloring- Proven to negatively affect a child's ability to learn, linked to behavioral problems and many allergies such as eczema, asthma, skin rashes, migraines, hives and more.
- Blue #1- A neurotoxin
- Yellow #5 & #6- Linked to causing cancer
- Red #40- Increased hyperactive behavior
- Red #3 Erythrosine- Causes cancer
- GMO Ingredients- Including sugar, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, soybean oil, soluble coin fiber, cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, corn maltodextrin, ascorbic acid (vitamin c), citric acid, sodium citrate, malic acid, xanthan gum, potassium citrate, monoglycerides, maltodextrin...
Pantry to the fridge..
9. Gallon of Milk- We were always taught to believe that milk was vital for healthy bones. I remember going to check up appointments and being asked if I had been consuming the necessary dairy intake.
- Cow pus (somatic cells) in milk- The National Milk Producers Federation states that the maximum level of somatic cells stands at 750,000 cells per ml of milk. In other words, an 8 ounce glass is equivalent to 180,000,000 pus cells. FYI... somatic cells are the same cells that are found in pimples!
- rBGH- A synthetic hormone given to dairy cows that increases the risk of cancer (it is banned in other countries).
- The main protein in milk is Casein which is responsible for eczema, acne, kidney disease, arthritis, asthma, tooth decay, irritable bowels, sinus problems, MS, Chron's, Colitis, great cancer, and prostate cancer.
- Cutting dairy helps your skin and digestion!
- Osteoporosis: proven studies that dairy increases fractures by 50%! Countries such as Asia and Africa have the lowest intake of dairy and the lowest rate of Osteoporosis.
- Animal cruelty on the dairy farms around the world since cows have become a product
- A child's gut is not sealed until age 2, GAPS diet.
Why not raw organic milk? Dairy is a mucus forming food that contains over 80 naturally reoccurring hormones that are not meant to be in the human body. When these hormones enter the body, it causes inflammation. When IGF-1, a hormone, is taken, it causes the pituitary glands to secrete more growth hormone. Therefore, if you have cancer, it causes the cells to replicate.
10. Gluten- Loaf of bread: It has been proven by science that all diseases begin in the gut. It takes 18 months to two years for the gut lining to seal, so babies and toddlers should avoid dairy, sugars, and all grains. Digestion is important in order for our bodies to function properly, so if the gut is "off," it can cause other organs to be compromised. This results in swelling, arthritis, and other auto-immune diseases. To learn more about the gut, I suggest investing in Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell- McBride and watching this video.
- sweeteners with grade B maple syrup, coconut sugar, raw organic unfiltered honey, or stevia.
- cow milk with nut milk
- flour with almond or coconut flour
- peanut butter with almond butter
- olive oil with avocado and coconut oil
- soda with Zevia